Hello! My name is Shari. Rhymes with "starry." If my name were Cockney rhyming slang, I could be "Starry Diamonds." And my stripping act would probably involve a lot of white leather fringe and a unicorn.
If you'd like to contact me, just leave a comment on any post. I'll reply there eventually.
Or - taking a brave breath - send me a howdy on Facebook. Howdy = message, friend request, light stalking, whatever. I like for people to feel welcome to become my FBF (Facebook Friend) yet not feel pressured to do so. I know the more sensible amongst you like to keep your FBF lists pruned of "people I only know through crash landing at their blah-blah blog via a Google search that seemed more promising at the time."
Where do you live? Your spelling/accent/idiom use is all over the place!
Er, that's tricky. For the next couple of years I'll be back and forth between Texas (to spell Dad a little from the stress of being my mother's caretaker) and Australia (where my Aussie husband received a brilliant teaching job offer, so he returned there to get our international life started). I guess my legal residence will be Fort Worth while I wait for the spouse visa, which means I now need to surrender my Las Vegas driver's license. Nooooo!
Okay, nevermind, where are you from?
"All over." <-- Stock annoying answer.
Slightly less annoying stock answer: "I was raised in the north/midwest by two southern parents. Michigan with a little Illinois and upstate New York, to be specific. Then I spent my early-to-mid adulthood in south Texas, aka nowhere near my many north Texas relatives. Weird. Finally, I adopted Las Vegas as my hometown, and Mike and I lived there for several years before deciding to make things more complicated by straddling the globe."
So, yeah, I talk a little funny.
How old are you?
I'm 43. Yes, 43. I know I write like I'm 13 and look like I'm 73. (Eight years in the desert plus being too lazy to moisturize.) Average the numbers together and the math works.
Who is Mike?
He's the guy who has to pose for a bunch of photos which then get uploaded with the "long-suffering husband" tag. He's also an English teacher... and honestly, pushing him to become one is probably the best thing I ever did for society while wearing my professional educator hat.
(If I'd also had a cape, maybe I wouldn't have been so eager to quit teaching in the United States. I digress... as usual.)
What is this site about?
Whatever's on my mind, such as...
- Travel (cruises even get their own menu at right)
- Genealogy (especially DNA-based research)
- Pets (all of our hamsters are gone now, though, so...)
- Culture shock from life with an Australian (bound to get worse)
- Crap I collect (stamps, Roman coins, tarot cards, Woot.com t-shirts)
- Games I play (retribution paladin FOR THE HORDE, thanks)
- How much people disappoint me (why save it for Festivus?)
- Rare cooking forays (when not just dreaming of them on Pinterest)
- Not-rare-at-all dining adventures (will food for Yelp)
- Books I wish you would read
- Passionate opinions
- Idle thoughts
What are 10 facts about you which either provide some context to your babble (good luck with that) or which may make it easy to thoughtlessly judge you without knowing you better?
- My favourite food is Indian (especially as a vegetarian), and second-fave is sandwiches (which my husband doesn't grok at all).
- I'm totally fat.
- I hate both major political parties pretty equally. Voting is always torture.
- Being bad at an activity doesn't keep me from doing it. (My husband endures a lot of singing.)
- Mike and I are childfree by choice. That doesn't mean we hate kids or society or our parents. We're just not parent material.
- Despite my former and future life as a high school English teacher, don't get any illusions about me proofreading or editing here. Catharsis is sloppy.
- Before writing hall passes, I was an IT gal/web developer/jack of many digital-driven trades.
- And then there was the decade-ish when I was a technology columnist for an Actual Print Newspaper.
- I only pay my Mensa dues when I'm feeling insecure. (Being cheerful and fat and not at all self-promoting - at least not when away from this blog - can lead to people assuming that you're dumb.)
- If you're the sort who doesn't do well with dry, hyperbolic, tongue-in-cheek, yet sincerely passionate text, you may just have to trust that I'm nicer than I seem.
All I can add is that this website is just a little personal thing, a diary, a habit, an unpredictable tic, a shady porch you've chosen to stroll past in your walk to somewhere more important. If you aren't satisfied with the view, keep going. If you want to sit down, here's another chair. Let's just prop up our barefoot and under-pedicured feet and talk about that amazing sunset... or is it a sunrise?
(Note: this post was actually written on 5 December 2007 and is updated as the whipping wind of fate requires.)